Sharpen your Data & turn it into information with SharperSkills® SQL Training
Learn how to design powerful databases that withstand the ever-changing business imperatives. Turn meaningless data
into meaningful information. This SharperSkills® offering trains your team on how to manage your data
effectively with a customized training that suits your industry.
This hands-on training provides an end-to-end case study that helps attendees learn every aspect of SQL Server as a data
Prior to taking the SharperSkills SQL Server Training, our team attended more than one training course with little
effectiveness. Not only did this training improve our team's skills, it also helped our team use SQL Server's features
and capabilities to solve business problems.
Data Management Challenges
Today we are experiencing an explosion in the size and type of data, ever-decreasing storage costs and ever-increasing
need for information. The competitive edge that differentiates one company from another is usually measured by how much
"Intelligence" it has about its customers, market, products, behaviors, etc.
Information Technology divisions in any company has many challenges:
- How can we store very large data?
- How can we retrieve the data as and when needed efficiently?
- How can we differentiate between current data and historic data?
- How can we ensure our data is available all the time?
- How can we turn meaningless data into meaningful information?
- All this while reducing costs.
The Microsoft Data Platform, consisting mainly of SQL Server (On premise) or SQL Azure (in the cloud) is Microsoft's
answer to the above challenges. With its Relational Database Engine, SQL Server can serve data efficiently to concerned
users. Using SQL Server Integration Services, you can transfer data to and from your database. Using Analysis Services
and Reporting Services, it is possible to turn meaningless data into meaningful information.
SharperSkills® SQL Server Training Offering
This 5-day, Instructor-led training offering focuses on your industry's major data challenges and teaches attendees how
to use SQL Server to address these challenges. You'll learn how to set properly design databases, effectively manage these
databases, fine-tune the performance of the databases and turn the meaningless data into meaningful information.
||Instructor-led in a classroom with a PC for every attendee.
- Database Administrators
- Database Developers
- Report Developers
- An understanding of databases, normalization and the Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Experience in database objects like Tables, Views, Stored Procedures, etc.
||Intermediate to Advanced
What will the attendees learn?
We will pick a fictitious company that is in the same industry as your organization. This fictitious company will
be used as a Case Study for the complete course.
The Case Study company will be studied to understand its data challenges.
Methodology and approach:
Attendees will learn how to understand the business challenges and build a database.
Attendees will build a database model using Visual Studio 2010's Database Application template. Entities will
be created, alongside indexes, relationships, default values and constraints.
SQL Server's data types will be introduced to the attendees. Attendees will learn the criteria that helps them
decide which data type to use.
- Using Partitioning, attendees will learn how to effectively manage storage.
SQL Server's High Availability options will be introduced. Attendees will learn the criteria for selecting
which High Availability option is the right option for their business.
- By importing data from other sources, attendees will learn how to build their database in an efficient manner.
Using Reporting Services, attendees will learn how to build predefined reports and then build Report Models that
can be used to build ad-hoc reports using Report Builder.
Attendees will understand the multiple sources of data available to the Case Study company. Then attendees
will analyze this data using Analysis Services.
- Attendees will learn how to publish their reports so other users can benefit from them.
- Windows Server
SQL Server (including Database Engine, Integration Services, Analysis Services, Reporting Services, Data Quality
Services, Master Data Services, etc.)
- Office Excel, Word and Visio
- PowerPivot and PowerView
Every trainee will get a Welcome Kit that includes:
- USB Flash Disk including the necessary software and virtual machines used during the training.
- Full-Color printed training manual.
- An anonymous Feedback Form to collect personal feedback about the course and the performance of the instructor.
- An attractive Certificate of Attendance.